Retail covers a host of businesses from market stalls and independent shops to national chains and large superstores.
An Apprenticeship in Retail will develop your employability skills and give you valuable experience of a variety of routine retail related activities. You could work in a number of job related environments including selling, customer service, stock handling and visual merchandising. Your exact duties will depend upon your employer.
This Apprenticeship covers a range of skills that can be used across this vast sector.
As an apprentice, your role will depend on your employer you could be assisting customers on the sales floor of a high street store or handling their purchases. Alternatively, you could be working in a specialist department and become a product expert able to help with specific queries.
An artistic flare could point you in the direction of visual merchandising, helping to create window and in-store displays. Or you could work behind the scenes in stock handling, ensuring products are received in the correct quantities and appropriately stored.
On the Advanced Apprenticeship, your training will focus on a more specific role to gain greater skills in your preferred specialty. You will handle more responsibility and gain important management skills.
From organising displays to learning the crucial aspects of management, the skills gained from the Retail Apprenticeship are transferable to all retail companies. With a young workforce, the UKs retail sector is vibrant and offers many opportunities for early career progression.
There are loads of career opportunities available in Retail sector ranging from working face to face with customers to behind the scenes.
As a Retail Apprentice you'll get to work in the job that you love, earn money and get qualified. Since the retail world is so varied whether you're interested in IT or fashion, pets or DIY there's a career in retail out there to suit you.
As an Apprentice the world of Retail is yours for the taking and one day you might work in online retail, manage a shop or even own your own shop.
You may be responsible for the sales of goods, deal with customers, handle payments, arrange displays, receive deliveries, order stock, assist customers, price and label goods, offer advice on products.Job prospects
- Sales Assistants (can be also be known as Sales Associates, Sales Advisors, Sales Consultants, Retail Assistant, Retail Advisor, General Assistant, Partners and Sales Colleagues)
- Beauty Consultant
- Customer Service Assistant
- Stockroom Assistant
- Visual Merchandiser
- Fresh Food Counter Assistant (Bakery, Fish, Butchery, Fresh Produce)
To gain the full Apprenticeship you will work towards the following qualifications:
- NVQ Level 2 in Retail Skills
- Key Skills in Application of Number Level 1
- Key Skills in Communication Level 1
- Level 2 Certificate in Retail Operations
The NVQ qualification is work-related and will relate specifically to your job role. You will complete mandatory and optional units which include:
- Work effectively in your Retail team
- Visual Merchandising
- Customer Service
- Organisational effectiveness
- Finance and Administration
Whilst your technical skills and knowledge will develop over the course of your Apprenticeship you will also need to demonstrate to potential employers that you possess relevant skills and personal qualities and are willing to work and to learn.
Retail employers require the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to communicate with a range of people
- Numerate and literate
- Ability to show initiative
- Self motivated and desire to succeed in Retail industry
- Self disciplined and enthusiastic
- Adaptable and flexible
- Willingness to apply learning in the workplace
- Work effectively in your retail team
Candidates must achieve a further five units
- Stock management
- Product expertise
- Visual merchandising
- Finance and administration
- Customer service
- Organisational effectiveness